June 02, 2011

The Bacon-Glazed Doughnut


     Sometimes there are things in life that are so utterly indulgent, so selfishly decadent, that you feel guilty for even entertaining the idea of it. I’m here to tell you that those things must not be lost. You should, however, keep in mind that one of my many mantras is “everything in moderation.” Given that little bit of always-helpful knowledge, go ahead. Indulge.


     This morning, I was faced with a decision. It was a tough one. I was presented with a gourmet, glazed doughnut that was sprinkled with bits of bacon. I’ve seen something like this on TV before, but never thought I would run into one in real life. If you are vegetarian, or if, for some reason (though I can’t think of any), you don’t like the smell of bacon, then you won’t get what I’m about to describe. Imagine waking up for your morning workout session, ready to attack the day, when you are met with the haunting smell of freshly fried bacon. This smell drifts towards you, mingled with the succulent smell of warm sugar. You open your eyes to find something very different from your average breakfast. There, sitting in front of you, is a temptation only an enemy could dream up.

     I had planned on this morning being productive and healthy. So, I ignored that marvelous smell and put on my yoga pants. I coaxed myself to the gym and strengthened both my core and my soul. I decided, mid Downward Dog, that I would not have the doughnut that was waiting for me at home.

     Long story short, I ate the doughnut. I enjoyed it for the same reason that I thrive off of visiting New York for a few hours every time I have a work obligation in Newark, NJ. For the same reason that I wanted more than anything to visit the original Starbucks (even though I cannot stand their coffee) while I was visiting Seattle. It was for the same reason as when I quit my horrible job in hopes of really being able to do what I love, even if I don’t know what that is yet. I want to EXPERIENCE my life. I want to look back on the life that I have lived, and know that I lived it, within reason. Some people might take it as far as skydiving, or diving with sharks. Those adventures may not be up my ally, but that’s what I am talking about.

     So, get out there, try the bacon-glazed doughnut. Make that jump. In the end, wouldn’t you rather have lived and lost, than never lived at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment