August 08, 2012

just breathe

I'm back! It has been a crazy, amazing, life-changing, stressful, exciting, and blessed couple of months. My 4-year relationship ended. I moved from Neptune Beach, FL to Dallas, TX - away from all of my friends and family. My baby niece was born. I started a new job in a field more challenging than I could have ever imagined.

Needless to say, I've been very busy. But while adapting to my new routine I have realized that now, more than ever, it is important to take time to be creative and do something I love. Taking time to do something you truly, deeply love is so important. It gives your strength to tackle the not-so-wonderful tasks and it improves your well-being.

I am all about well-being these days. There is a fine line between spoiling yourself and giving your soul what it needs. Obviously, my soul would love weekly mani/pedis and expensive bottles of champagne. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the 20 minutes your spend on your porch in quiet peace after a stressful day. I'm talking about the moment you sit into your car after work, smelling the faint smell of your new lavender-vanilla car freshener.

Some may believe that the busier and more stressed-out you get, the less of a priority these things become. That should be exactly the opposite. The more busy and hectic your life becomes, the more important these little jewels of peace become.

So, my suggestion for today is to set aside ten minutes. Make yourself as relaxed as you can: turn off the TV/radio, change into comfy sweatpants, light a candle - and just be. It will be the most productive ten minutes of your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment